Are you thinking of dialling your preferred interior designer or decorator for your project? And, you do not know what to expect from her or him, what specific interior decorating services you need, what to say or how long you can talk with the designer, and so on?
Let me describe how a typical first conversation with a designer could sound. While all companies are different, for sure the next questions that I am going to tell you are pretty much standard in our design community. The purpose of this blog is to help you get prepared before calling. These are the questions:
- How did you learn about us? (postcards, networking, magazine, referral, and the like)
- Have you visited our website?
- What type of house do you live in? (condo, semi-detached, cottage, etc.)
- Where is your home located? (name of city or area)
- What is the timeline for your project? (for when you are planning to get the project completed)
- Why are you doing this now? (special event, newborn, change of aesthetics, etc.)
- Do you have financing and time for a project? (do you know how you are paying for the project and are you committed to spending some time on the project?)
- How involved would you like to be in the project? 100%, 50% or you would let your designer lead?
- What is the budget? Please answer as accurately as possible. This issue is important to see if the budget aligns with your project and also with the company’s rates and business goals.
- Who would have the authority to make decisions? (Is it you, your partner, both or any other person?)
- When can we get together for our first consultation? (choose a date convenient for both parties. And, usually the payment for the consultation is required.)
I hope this helps you on your first phone conversation with an interior designer and that both the designer and you can find the right match for each other. Why not book a consultation with a professional interior designer right away.